With the evolution of technology, new problems arise every day. Take the example of a mobile phone. It was just a communication device. But now, it is a tool for entertainment, education, and productivity. If you have an Android device, then you have faced the problem of data shortage. This problem does not allow you to install more apps on your device when your default storage is full. You can counter this problem by changing the storage from internal to external storage. We will tell you all the detail. So, you must keep reading for more.
- 1 What is an Android device?
- 2 Method to change the default storage
- 2.1 Benefits of using external storage as a default storage
- 2.2 How do I free up internal storage on my Android?
- 2.3 How to increase internal storage?
- 2.4 Frequently asked questions
What is an Android device?
It is a device that has an Android operating system. Mobile phones of the latest technology are called smartphones, and they require operating systems, just like a computer, tablet, or laptop. An Android device always has an Android operating system for running apps. This operating system is produced by Google, which also runs its Play store for downloading apps. You can find apps from the Play store, which can be free to download or you have to pay the premium. Most apps are free to download. But there are many apps that require in-app purchases. In other words, there is no escape from Android and its apps in the present scenario.
The internal storage of a mobile device is the memory that is built-in the mobile phone. Generally, this storage is used to keep the operating system of the mobile phone. When you install apps, then these apps are installed in the internal storage. This storage is variable for different devices. You can find the storage range from 1GB to 256GB in mobile devices. You cannot format the internal storage from the mobile because it contains the operating system. If you become able to format internal storage, then your mobile device will not start.
External storage is a memory card, which is attached to the mobile device. This card provides storage for keeping pictures, videos, documents, and application. External storage of any device is variable due to the capacity of the card. If your card has more capacity, then you will have more external storage. Generally, an SD card has 4GB to 64GB storage.
External storage is the best place to store all media and entertainment utilities.
Method to change the default storage
You can do that by following the steps.
- Pull out your Android mobile phone.
- Now, open the screen lock by using your pattern. After that, you need to go to the “setting.”
- It will be an icon on the second screen of your mobile device.
- In some mobiles, the “settings” icon is present in all apps section.
- When you open the settings screen, then you have to scroll down to the bottom.
- At the bottom, you will find an option named “storage.”
- You need to tap on that option.
- It will open the storage-related screen.
- In the storage settings screen, you need to change “Default write screen” to “external storage.”
- It will change your storage from internal to external storage.
- Now, you can install apps in the external memory card.
Benefits of using external storage as a default storage
You will get the following benefits.
- Your mobile phone will have free space in internal memory, which is making its performance better.
- External storage will allow you more space for apps. You can install a greater number of apps due to extra space.
- When you restore your mobile from factory settings, then your apps will not be deleted. And you will save time because you do not have to reinstall all the apps.
- You can use multiple SD cards for keeping a big collection of apps.
How do I free up internal storage on my Android?
You need to follow the steps.
- Open your mobile phone.
- You need to go to the app’s application info menu.
- Then you need to tap storage.
- After that, you must tap the “clear cache.” It will delete all cache from the apps.
- Then you need to clear all app’s cache by going to storage in the settings menu.
- There will be an option to clear all cache. Tap on that.
- It will clear all cache, and you will have free space in your internal storage.
How to increase internal storage?
You can increase internal storage in the following ways.
- You can use a memory card to increase the internal storage of your mobile device. This method works quickly.
- You can delete unwanted apps, clean history, and clean cache. This method will provide you with free space by removing the apps and automatically saved files.
- You can use USB OTG storage for increasing internal storage.
- You can turn to cloud storage. But you will need a faster internet connection to do that.
- You can use the terminal emulator app.
- You can use INT2EXT.
- How to Enable or Disable Auto-starting Apps in Android
- The Most Praised Android Keyboards
- How to Fix the Screen Overlay Detected Error In Android
- Tricks To Speed Up Internet on Android Smartphones
Frequently asked questions
Q1: Is it OK to clear cached data?
Ans: The Cache data can easily take up space in your internal storage, which can reach up to one GB. Mostly cache is the collection of junk files in your mobile device. You can delete them, and you will not face any problem in future. Yes, it is ok to clear cached data.
Q2: How many GB storages do I need on my phone?
Ans: If you want to use basic apps like email, Facebook, etc. Then you will only need 5GB space. For dozens of apps, you will need 10GB. And if you want a hundred apps, then you must have 50GB storage space.
Q3: Does clearing cached data delete photos?
Ans: If you want to clear cached data, then it will not delete your photos. In fact, clearing cached data does not change anything on your mobile. It will only remove files that are junk and automatically downloaded with browsing. Clearing cached data will free up your internal storage, and you will have better mobile performance. Clearing cached data is a recommended activity for better performance.